Sunday, September 7, 2014

cookies

Task: create a new cookie; new in taste, form, texture, cooking process, presentation, etc.

 
1. Research and Background. Well, first off, what is a cookie? I mean I know what a cookie is, but what is the basic definition of what makes something a cookie? How do you make a cookie?

Webster Merriam Dictionary definition:

cook·ie noun
/ˈko͝okē/
: a sweet baked food that is usually small, flat, and round and is made flour and sugar  

Ratio by Michael Ruhlman

  • Cookie Dough= 1 part sugar
                                  + 2 parts fat
                                  + 3 parts flour

  • To create variations: change the flavor, swap an ingredient, alter the proportion of flour to fat to sugar

 Classic Cookie Variations
   
            
               Shortbread
Chocolate Chip
   
Thumbprint
 
              
                   Sugar


 
 Peanut Butter
Oatmeal Raisin


  











    


 ______________________________________________

2. Inspiration. What can I do to create a new, innovative cookie?

A Day at elBulli by Ferran Adrià

  • Creative Methods:
    • Traditional and local cuisines
    • Influences from other cuisines
    • Association
    • Inspiration
    • Deconstruction
    • Minimalism
    • Symbiosis of sweet and savory
    • Commercial food in high-end cuisine
  •  "...to be truly creative, a dish must be interesting as well as new."

  • "The aim at elBulli is to create dishes and techniques that engage guests' sensory, emotional and intellectual facilities to the full..."

Flavor Bouncing by Grant Achatz



      Classic Flavor Pairings                                                                Unexpected Flavor Pairings


__________________________________________________

3. Ideation. I decided to focus on creating a new, innovative flavor for a cookie. What kinds of flavors can I come up with for a cookie?




__________________________________________________

4. Selection. I narrowed it down to the top five cookie ideas, and then asked friends and family to select their favorite.

Top Five 
1. Pineapple Blue Cheese 2. Apple Brie 3. Strawberry, Tomato,Basil 4. Pear, Gorgonzola, Pecan 5. Apricot Basil
Votes and Comments:

 1. Pineapple Blue Cheese:
    • Tanner, 28
    • Molly, 24 "It sounds kind of weird, but in a good way."
    • My Vote
  2. Apple Brie:
    • Lynn, 50 "I love brie cheese and apple. May be add some kind of nut, like almonds?"
    • Maia, 19

  3. Strawberry Tomato Basil:
    • Taylor, 25
  4. Pear, Gorgonzola, Pecan
    • Jordyn, 23 "Sounds interesting for a cookie. I like the savory and sweet combo."
    • Nikita, 22
    • Judy, 56 "I like this combination in salads, so I think it would be interesting in a cookie"
    • Shannon, 22
  5. Apricot Basil
    • Dave, 60 "This reminds me of a cookie that my mom used to make, but with an updated flavor combination."

__________________________________________________

5. Experimentation. After narrowing it down to the top two cookie ideas, I decided to experiment with cookie recipes to narrow it down to the top cookie flavor.
 
Recipes I combined a few different cookie recipes to create my new recipes for my cookie flavors.

    Pineapple Blue Cheese Thumbprint Cookie
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple            
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup blue cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat well. Stir in vanilla and pineapple. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir into creamed mixture. Roll into balls and place 2" away on cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven. With thumb, dent each cookie. Put blue cheese in each thumbprint. Bake for another 3-5 minutes.
   Tasting- w/ roommate

  • Good texture, moist and chewy
  • The sweet and salty combination is very interesting and good
  • Needs more pineapple
  • Possibly add some nuts?
  • May be add some sugar to the blue cheese? A bit too salty.
  • Very aromatic
  • Aesthetic is okay, possibly add a garnish
      Overall: B+
                      
    Pear, Gorgonzola and Pecan Thumbprint Cookie
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder                   
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 pears- peeled and diced
  • 1 cup Gorgonzola
  • 30 whole pecans
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix into creamed ingredients. Roll into balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven. With thumb, dent each cookie. Put Gorgonzola in each thumbprint. Top with a pecan. Bake for another 3-5 minutes.
    Tasting -w/ roommate

  • Good texture, very moist
  • Really good flavor combination 
  • Add less cinnamon; tastes a bit too strong
  • Add sugar to Gorgonzola; too salty
  • Pear is really good, good chunks
  • Needs to be baked longer, 3-5 minutes
  • Aesthetic is very nice
       Overall: A-  
________________________________________________

  6. Finalize. I decided to go forward with the Pear, Gorgonzola and Pecan thumbprint cookie. I tweaked the recipe a bit and created the final dozen cookies.


Pear, Gorgonzola and Pecan Thumbprint Cookie

Final Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 pears- diced
  • 1 cup Gorgonzola 
  • 2 Tbs. white sugar
  • 30 whole pecans 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix into creamed ingredients. Mix in diced pears. Roll into balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheet. Slightly flatten the dough balls. Bake 8-10 minutes. 
  3. While cookies are baking melt the Gorgonzola cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and add the white sugar. Mix well.
  4.  Remove cookies from oven. With thumb, dent each cookie. Fill each cookie with cheese mixture. Top with a pecan. Bake for another 5-8 minutes until golden brown. 

Conclusion
Overall I feel that this cookie is creative in that it is a unique flavor combination that is unusual to see in a cookie. The combination of sweet, spiced and salty makes for a very interesting and unexpectedly tasty cookie. It is one of my favorite flavor combinations in things like salads, but I never knew it could also be successful as a baked good. The final cookie is flavorful, sophisticated and aesthetically pleasing.

 



 




3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I am struggling to find room to critique you here. I was very impressed with your blog post and thought you did an extremely thorough job of laying out your thoughts. To even go as far in depth as to what other people voted for and which ideas they like the best. You can color me impressed.

    I WISH, your cookie didn't have nuts in it, because I really wanted to try it. But alas, I could not. So I can only assume that they tasted wonderful and were new and unique. Prior to you baking these cookies, I don't even think I knew what gorgonzola was.... I just googled it and discovered it is a cheese. This shows how inept I am at cooking.
    So, I am stretching here for criticism, but it is the same criticism I have of myself. I think the biggest challenge is how do you break outside the box of what we believe a cookie is? How can we go beyond changing the ingredients, but actually change shape, size, texture, etc. Those are my only thoughts. But otherwise, I was impressed all the way around. And I know he said not to write comments like this... but it is hard not to! You covered all the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kira- what kind of pens did you use for your doodles?! They are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE the overall appearance of your blog. I felt like I was being walked through the entire process with you. You were very thorough and had spectacular visuals, I also appreciated the history/background you included. I also enjoy that you took other peoples' opinions into consideration when choosing the final cookie. This is important because it can be easy to become attached to one idea and never explore the others.

    I WISH you'd have explored some simpler flavors. Your cookies were very sophisticated and aesthetically pleasing however I'm not sure they appealed to the correct audience. With a class of college kids, a less-risky flavor combination may have been easier to relate to. I think in a class of mature foodies these cookies would have excelled, but for slightly less-seasoned tasters these flavors may have been overwhelming.

    WHAT IF you had explored a little bit more with form. I think it would have been really cool if the cookie was an unconventional shape (maybe a pear using the pecan as the stem?) instead of a traditional thumbprint. The presentation was nice, but it was safe compared to the flavors you chose.

    ReplyDelete